This week we’re sharing Baker By Nature’s delicious Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Chocolate chip cookies are a fan favourite, whether you’re making a batch for yourself or to give as a gift, everyone will LOVE these delicious vegan cookies. What makes them so yummy is that they’re chewy with crispy edges, which is the ultimate combo if you ask us.
A Few Notes:
- This recipe uses coconut oil instead of vegan butter. If you’re not a fan of coconut flavour, chose a refined coconut oil (neutral taste).
- If you like coconut flavour, you can choose an unrefined coconut oil , and if you’re a big fan, you can also add ½ cup of toasted coconut flakes to the cookie dough
- The consistency of the coconut oil is important because we aren’t chilling the dough before baking. Coconut oil becomes liquid when warm. We want it to be solidified first, so you may need to pop it in the fridge.
- If your dough is feeling too sticky, add a bit more flour. If your dough is too firm, add a little more coconut milk. The goal is soft but not mushy; firm but not hard.
PREP TIME: 10 min
BAKE TIME: 10 min
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid but scoop-able
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (the thicker the better)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (be sure not to pack your flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of vegan chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Flaky sea salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla, beating until well combined. Add in the coconut milk and applesauce and whisk until well combined; set aside. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; whisk well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and, using a wooden spoon, stir until ingredients are combined. The batter will be very thick! Fold in 1 and 3/4 cups of the chocolate chips.
- Scoop three tablespoon sized mounds of dough onto the prepared cookie sheet, leaving a few inches between each cookie for spreading. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the centers have set. Press remaining chocolate chips on top of warm cookies, and sprinkle with sea salt, if using.
- Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. We recommend waiting 30 minutes before eating.
- Pick up some vegan ice cream (Honey’s is our favourite) to make ice cream sammies!