We wanted to share a few of our favourite veggie recipes from our recent travels in Turkey:
Turkish Cucumber, Feta and Tomato Salad
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, finely sliced
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 3 ounces of Feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- In a bowl, combine the cucmber, scallion, tomato and feta cheese.
- Scatter the parsley on top, sprinkle red pepper flakes and drizzle olive oil.
- Toss well to combine. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Turkish Spiced Feta & Carrot Fritters
- oil for frying
- 1 ½ cups of grated carrot
- ½ cup of minced scallion
- 2 teaspoons of dried dill
- 2/3 cups of crumbled feta
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¾ cup of flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Heat several inches of oil over medium-high heat. Once oil is heated, turn down to medium to maintain temperature.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl until combined. Working in batches, drop rounded teaspoons of batter into hot oil and deep fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
Turkish Eggplant Dip
- 2 eggplants
- 7 tablespoons of thick yogurt (can also be substituted for vegan yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt & pepper
- splash of lemon
- fresh mint
- preheat oven to 400° F
- prick the eggplants with a fork in several places and then bake them for 60-75minutes until they’ve soften entirely on the inside.
- Make the garlic oil by heating 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Add the 2 cloves of garlic when the oil is hot, and fry for a few minutes. Remove the cloves
Stray & Wander Team