With the weather getting cooler, we're looking forward to snuggling up at home with our favourite Stray & Wander blankets, and some warming homemade meals. This Apricot Lentil Soup is one of our all time favourites!
Apricot Lentil Soup
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 ½ cups dried black lentils
- 10 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green Pepper, chopped
- 1 red Pepper, chopped
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, (fresh or canned)
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1. Rinse lentils, then bring to a boil in water or stock. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20 minutes. Add apricots and simmer for another 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers. Cook 5 minutes or until just softened.
3. Add tomatoes, cinnamon, cardamom, cayenne, paprika and salt. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 7 minutes or until tender.
4. Stir vegetables into cooked lentils and simmer for 10 minutes to desired consistency. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutritional Facts per Serving:
Calories: 286; Protein: 16g; Carbohydrates: 48g; Fat: 6g; Calcium: 55mg; Iron: 6mg
Stray & Wander Team